Nov 26, 2009

the twilight empire and the fall of new moon

i've been looking forward to "the twilight saga: new moon" ever since, well pretty much after Twilight. I read new moon and in my opinion it was my favourite book out of the four in the series. It just touches on the mythological debate about werewolves and vampires and who evidently is the better race. I personally think werewolves are better, speaking on a non-biased opinion of new moon. Werewolves, although cannot control their shape-shifting, are four times stronger than vampires. Physically they may not be the most "attractive" mythological creatures, but they are one of the most renowned beings.

So back to Twilight/New Moon and my opinion of it. I personally disliked it. I didn't hate it, there were a couple of things here and there that caught my eye (and yes, one of them was Taylor Lautner shirtless. It's funny that after the movie was released a facebook page was devoted to Taylor Lautner shirtless, obsessed much?). I shall start with the negatives.

First off, the acting. Kristen Stewart is in my opinion one of the worst actresses in the world. Despite the fact that she looks like a genetically modified rat that was dipped in toxic waste, her acting was atrocious. What was with the abnormal screams? I mean I get she's having nightmares and all, but in all honesty who screams like that in real life? And is it even possible to scream like that in your sleep? I wouldn't know, but still, what is up with that? She did it in the first film too, when she was bitten by James and the "venom" was beginning to circulate her system and she started that random spasm of screams. Seriously woman, be realistic here.

Dialogue. OMG! How corny and stupid are the things these people say. Kids may not understand it, but people my age can feel my pain. For example, I know this was highly unintended (or was it ;)), but in the scene in the forest when Edward is informing Bella he is leaving Forks/Vancouver, Bella tells him, "I'm coming" and Edward replies with, "I don't want you to come". Know I am not the one who thought of this first, blame a wise friend of mine, but if you get me, "come" .............. Yes I know it's lame, but I wasn't the first person to notice it. I noticed it because someone else told me about it. Another line I felt was completely stupid, Bella to Jacob when she falls over the bike, "You are sorta beautiful". Ok, two things I find wrong here. It's not really wrong, I just find it so weird its just not mean't to be said. One, sorta? How can someone be sorta beautiful? If you intend to compliment someone, you wouldn't dumb it down. And the last thing, beautiful. I get it if he said it to her, but she said it to him. Beautiful is such a better word than "hot", but I just find it weird for a girl to be calling a guy beautiful. A more appropriate word would have been handsome, appealing or even attractive. I don't know, most people would have no problem with it, but I just find it highly odd. There was another line I thought was funny, I liked it.

'Age is just a number baby"
It's cute indeed =D, God bless you Jacob Black. All the Romeo and Juliet references really ticked me off. EVERY teen movie uses the same story, boy likes girl, girl likes boy, not mean't to be together, cry cry cry. And I guess its Stephanie Meyers fault for that, no offence.

Moving onto Robert Pattinson/Edward. Is it me, but does he look weird in New Moon? I thought he was quite "appealing" in the first film. But in New Moon, he looked WAAAAAAAAAAY to white. It was like they made him dive in a pool full of baby powder before he started filming. For a "beautiful" vampire, he sure didn't look "beautiful". And the sparkle-sparkle as I call it. Before Twilight the main theory why vampires could never walk into the sunlight was because they would turn into dust and die. I mean that's what happened in Blade and Underworld right? But in Twilight, the reason why they can't go into the sun is because they sparkle. Totally ruined my perception on vampires when I found that out. It ruined the image I perceived about vampires being majestic and noble people who loved to party at night and sleep during the day in their coffins.

Dakota Fanning. Before I start bagging her out, well not really, I thought the choice of her as Jane was an excellent choice, she has the pale skin and the bleach blonde hair to match Jane. Disappointment when I saw her appear on screen. Physically I thought she looked alright, but when she started talking I thought, ewww. The girl can't act either. And when she tried her power on Bella, her face looked so strange. It was like a mixture of constipation and drunk. I really hope she improves before the next films.

The werewolves. I was so looking forward to the werewolves and how they would put it off. At first I thought the werewolves would be much smaller, like the size of a fully grown German Shepard. But noooooo! They are pretty big, which I guess matches their strength and all. The CGI was good, yet I was overall disappointed in the wolves. Not enough of them in the film and in the little fight between Paul and Jacob, it was more of a blur rather than a fight.

Alright, now to the positives of the film. TAYLOR LAUTNER SHIRTLESS! Kidding. I shall try to think of other positives than Taylor =P. The Volturi. SPLENDID! The vampire equivalent to the government. AWESOME! Michael Sheen as Aro, awesome! He has that whole dominant/sly/creepy vibe going on. LOVE LOVE LOVE the red eyes. From reading the book my first image of Aro was an old man, hunched back sitting in his throne looking over his minions. But, he actually looked, young. And the blonde one on his left, I am not sure which one it is, I think its Caius, but he looks good too. From memory he is boy from Sweeney Todd, forgot his name, the annoying dude who kept singing that lame song.

I know I said the wolves were lame and all, but the wolves as a whole, the wolf pack were awesome! With the awesome matching tattoos, matching brown shirts, matching shorts, matching cropped hair, the idea of the wolf pack makes me happy. Gotta love them wolves. Paul is great, matches the character exactly and when I look at Sam he looks more of a Maori decent rather than a Native American decent, but still Sam does show that whole Alpha dog role. Yet as most of us know, Sam technically, isn't the Alpha male ;).

Well thats my breakdown of New Moon. Overall, if I were to give a rating out of 5 stars for new moon, I give it 2 stars.

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. wahahahaha.. lame acting for kristen stewart huh?? but hey, i like taylor lautner, he's cute. but i won't call myself obsessed..

    ReplyDelete