Aug 7, 2009

future?

I've been asked thousands of times what i want to be when i grow up, or at least what i want to achieve out of the course I'm doing right now. I have many answers to those people, depending on how is saying it and how they say it. Like for example, a complete stranger on the bus asked me what i wanted to achieve out of my course. I didn't want to seem like I'm doing the course because it sounds interesting nor did i want him to think i have no complete idea what i want to do, but then again because of the fact that i am still a first year student, you have to sound uncertain. So i told him, "preferably something in research. Maybe a little bit of reproductive technologies and breeding programs."

Another example, a family member asks me what type of jobs are you going to look for when you graduate? Now with these type of people i want to let them know that i have thought truly hard about what i want. I want them to know I'm prepared and have pretty much planned out my life for the next five or so years. So i tell them "I want to do something in terms of training. With dogs, for law enforcement or as guide dogs or even horses." And they usually all gasp in excitement asking me to train their dogs as soon as i graduate.

Now friends. When it comes to friends you want them to know you've got everything under control, you may not know exactly what you want to do, but you're certain you're in the right place. So i tell them "I'll see where this course takes me."

I have a couple of friends who know EXACTLY what they want, the duration it will take them to get there and the people and places they must see and be at. For example, one of my closest friends (they shall remain unnamed) has their life set out for pretty much till they are about 30. Finish degree in three years, one year of honors, doctorate, PhD and find a job doing what they've been studying for. Now i find that remarkable, to know what you want at their age. AMAZING!

Another friend of mine knows they want to work with dogs no matter what. It doesn't matter what it is, as long as its with dogs. At least they know to some degree where they want to go in life.

Another person i know does this course that i would have never guessed, mainly because they don't seem like the type to want to study it. They seem more like a "health" based student. More about sports rather than what they are doing now. And when i think hard about it, even though i don't really KNOW this person, i have no idea what they wish to achieve out of that course.

It gets me thinking, people often wonder why i am doing animal science considering i am a very picky girl. I hate reptiles, i LOATHE frogs, birds are a nuisance, i dislike cats and i wonder why rats even exist. I remember i wanted to become a forensic scientist. C.S.I sugar-coated forensic science so much! I wanted to be a doctor once in my life. I also wanted to be a child-care worker, primary school teacher, photographer and even a writer. I'm confusing, i know =P. But right now, I'm quiet happy with what I'm doing in uni. It has opened my eyes to so many things. I remember the first time i got to work with the horse, i was so freaked out! And after a while there was just that connection. The feeling that, if this is what being an animal scientist is about, getting to experience the great joy and passion of animals which we tend to neglect. Then I'm happy to be an animal scientist in training.

Although i don't know what i want to do exactly with my course, I do have other arrangements.
  • Join Greenpeace
  • Join WIRES
  • Get married
  • Have three kids
  • Travel the world with a friend
  • Travel to China and help in the panda reserves
  • FIND A JOB!!!
  • Finally get my P's
  • Stay in contact with my friends
  • Graduate

No comments:

Post a Comment