Oct 17, 2009

"I feel the pain of everyone, now i feel nothing"

There are many advantages of having an older brother or sister. For example, depending on the size of your older sibling, you can borrow clothes. I always find that my sister has exceptional fashion sense. Another thing is that you can ask for advice on anything, school, boys/girls, life, pretty much whatever they've been through which you may be experiencing now.

I remember when I was about eleven years old, i just finished year 6 and i was on holidays. My sister just finished year ten and was about to start year eleven next door. I had the chicken pox which i caught from my niece who although was "recovering" from the pox hugged me and coughed on me in the car, thus transmitting the disease to me. I noticed something awfully strange about something "downstairs", and like the shy girl that i am, i said nothing. Mum finally realised something was up when i refused to sit down, lie down and always walked around the house sideways. She said, "turn around Sasha". At that moment she knew what it was and asked my sister to explain it to me. If you haven't caught my drift yet, you should know by now.

So i was in the CR, door locked and staring at this new "contraption". My sister on the other side of the door was saying, "peel the little tab looking thingy". And yeah, the rest i dont think i should describe =P. From that moment i finally realised what wisdom my sister had and how much i wanted to emulate her.

Your probably thinking, what relevance did my story have to whatever i'm on about. Well, like any factor in life, when you have advantages you must have disadvantages. And i think the MAJOR disadvantage of having an older sibling is ofcourse, the fact that your parents just LOVE to compare the two of you, in good ways and bad. For example, grades. I know thousands of people who are always compared to their older siblings based on their grades. "Why aren't you as smart as your brother?", "How come he got an award and you didn't?", "If you sister can get an A then you can definitely get an A". I guess it's sort of a motivation to prove to them you can do it, and that you can actually do better than your older sibling, but at the same time its kind of an insult.

I hate being compared to my sister. I'm fine with people saying that i look like my sister or she looks like me. Whatever, we're sisters, we're mean't to. But what i hate most especially coming from my own mother, is her constant nagging about physical appearance and weight. I mean i know i'm fat. I live my life everyday looking at all these skinny people in uni, blacktown, on the street, in magazines, movies, EVERYWHERE far out and thinking how the hell do they do it? And i hate it when skinny people call themselves fat. GET A FUCKING GRIP PEOPLE!!! you are not fat, you must be mentally screwed to think that you're fat.

Today my mum and sister went to blacktown today for grocery shopping and i stayed home to watch a video for a test. My sister comes home with all these new clothes and my mum followed her, i pretty much closed my room so that i could concentrate on my test and through the walls i could hear, "OH MY GOSH MONICA! You've lost so much weight! You look so skinny now." and even though this was in a quiet whisper i could hear my mum say "now it's Sasha turn to lose weight". I think my mum seriously does that to piss me off. She does it everyday! Everyday of my stinking, miserable life. She torments me about it, she constantly reminds me of the "apple of her eye" (my sister) and how much she would want me to emulate that. And even though i said i want to emulate my sister, i dont want to be EXACTLY like her. My mum just loves to get me depressed, it's like, thanks mum for your KIND and MOTIVATING words. GAH!!!! Sometimes having an older sister really pisses me off.

My sister knows how i feel about it all. Everytime my mum compares me to her, my sister changes the subject because she also knows what it's like to be compared and constantly poked out until they get the message. I mean she is my older sister. She's been there for me when no one else was. She helped me in my prepubescent days with the boys, the physical changes. She's always there to make me laugh. I really don't take the time to appreciate that or tell her that.

No comments:

Post a Comment