May 24, 2010

The art of awkwardness ... part 3

HERE IT IS AGAIN! Well it wasn't really awkward for me, I felt more helpless and cruel for not doing anything, but it was awkward deciding what to do. But here's the story. A couple of weeks ago, couple of friends and I decided to "study" in the library whilst finishing off a little project for a friend of ours. Me and one of my friends were walking/racing to work to give our manager a gift, and she got all teary, so we decided to leave (we're not cruel like that, trust me). But on our way back to the library there is this little, well not really little more like a ten year old Indian girl standing by the front counter in the library just crying out loud. We slowly walked passed her because we were wondering if we should do anything. We automatically thought maybe she's just been seperated from her parents, and although the library is a small place, for a little child, it's like getting lost in the woods.

So we're still walking slowly pass her and we notice what seemed like a puddle surrounding her. Mind you, it was raining that day, so we assumed she got wet in the rain and just left a puddle. We felt kinda guilty just leaving the poor girl there, but moments later the librarian comes running to the girls aid, wipes her face and makes her stand BEHIND the front counter. And then it made all sense ... she peed her pants in the library. That's when it got awkward. The little girl stared at me, once I noticed what she had done. What was awkward about this was I was so tempted to laugh, but I knew it was horribly wrong to laugh at. If you see something like that you don't laugh, but when your telling someone else about it or someone else is telling you about it, you cant help but laugh.

I felt so helpless. I didn't know what to do, my friend and I didn't know what to do. And I'm sure if I knew whart she had done BEFORE the librarian came along, I most probably would ahve made things worse by laughing. Then being shamed in public by some random, telling me I have no respect, blah blah blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment