Jan 7, 2010

"everyone pretend to be normal"

A couple of weeks ago, Christmas Day to be exact, an awkward conversation was going on in the family car on our ride home from a beautiful Christmas day with family, or the abridged version of our family.

My sister and mum were having an argument. My sister was telling my mum that she doesn't know when to shut her mouth (which is true, to be honest) and my mum was trying to apologize and telling my sister to pretty much, build a bridge and get over it. It had to do with an auntie of mine, who had split from her husband a couple of months ago. It had to do more with the husband and his new girlfriend. And my mum being who she was, even though she was unaware, asked my auntie about it, not knowing how it would upset her deeply. And my sister being confronting and outspoken, told off my mum for having no consideration about others feelings.

The argument continued all the way from Quakers Hill back home. It soon turned very awkward when my sister confronted my mum about traumatizing her as a child. I don't want to go deep into that, but pretty much mother, being who she was, told all our cousins and relatives about my sisters situation. And like I said, it traumatized her. I can remember the words my mum told my sister, "HEH! GET OVER IT MON!"

It was just such an awkward and uncomfortable car ride home. Dad was busy driving and since he is half-deaf probably couldn't hear half the things that were being said, but me with my supersonic hearing, heard everything and just wanted to smack my mum and sister. Deep down inside I was hoping, begging in my seat that my dad would step in and say something! I knew I would be shut down if I said anything.

What's with me and awkward situations? It's been happening a lot lately, like the busride to work, with the foreign ladies screaming at one another, and then the Aboriginal couple on the busride home having a lovers quarrel. My life is just circulated with all these strange but memorable adventures. Maybe it's a sign about how the new year will be for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment